Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Straight edge, and proud.

So I feel like this is the best place to put this, as I personally see my veganism as much more than a diet it's a philosophy for living well. I also think that my straight edge stance reflects this.

Straight edge is the basic beliefs that drugs and alcohol are not needed and should be rejected. That one should live against the grain of popular society and live by rules and standards from themselves and not the ones dictated by society.

Much alike veganism, I am constantly finding people who seem to have a go when you mention the word 'straight edge' or when you say "No, I don't drink alcohol."
WHY, why do you feel the need to badger on about it? No, I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. I honestly never thought this could be considered a bad thing!
Yes, I eat sugar, if someone spiked my lemonade that doesn't count as an edge break, having to take medicine for surgery is not an edge break, having a red bull is not an edge break, having sex before marriage is not an edge break *insert obvious answer to stupid irrelevant question here*

This is more of a vent than a productive post, but at the end of the day. I guess this is my blog!

“When a slave was drunk, the slaveholder had no fear that he would plan an insurrection…. It was the sober, thinking slave who was dangerous, and needed the vigilance of his master to keep him a slave.” -Frederick Douglas

2 comments:

  1. Hmm i wonder what brought this on :)
    i think you are aloud to be proud about it and ignore stupid people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post! I'm not 'Edge but I have friends who are... I treat it the same way I want my veganism treated - with respect! People are just jerks sometimes and can't grasp foreign concepts - I wouldn't stress too much about it. Just give them a nice, dramatic eye roll ;)

    Also - I'm Nat! This is the first time I've seen your blog and I've already decided you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete