Search This Blog

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Vegan MOFO - Day 6: Bounty Chocolate Bar





The best part of this is you can tweak the recipe to however you want it, and know exactly what's going into your chocolate bar. Not very hard although the recipe makes it look difficult. You'll be making more chocolate bars in the future just because they're so simple but tasty :)


Coconut filling:
1 can(cup) coconut cream
2 1/2 cups of shredded coconut
3 tablespoons of vanilla essence
1/3 cup of vegan butter (I used nuttelex) or coconut oil
1/4 cup of raw sugar (or sweetner of choice, ie maple syrup or agave)
3 tablespoons of xantham gum (or cornflour, or thickening agent)

1 bar of dark cooking chocolate, for melting

melt butter or oil over medium-high heat in a pan until melted
add sugar and cook until melted into the mixture (a few minutes)
Add coconut cream and cook until boiling - at this point add in the vanilla essence and take off the heat.


add shredded coconut and xantham gum
At this point, the mix should be very thick, if it still seems rather gooey, add more shredded coconut.

firmly pack coconut mixture into a square or rectangle container and place in fridge for 3 hours to set
gently cut into the coconut mix and cut it into smaller rectangles. These will be your bars.
place in freezer to set completely for an hour or so.

take out of freezer after an hour or so, break out each piece of coconut bar, if it is too thick, cut in half again, they are very rich when coated in chocolate.  Place pre-cut bars back into the freezer while you melt your chocolate.


You can melt your chocolate a few ways, if you have a microwave, you can use that.
I placed a mixing bowl over a pan of boiling water and kept mixing my chunks of cooking chocolate until it was melted and no clumps remained.


Now - for the fun part, coating your bars in chocolate!

I found he easiest way to do this was skewering each bar with a toothpick - this gives you something to hold onto while you coat them evenly in chocolate, but you have to work quickly, as the coconut hits room temperature it will not be solid enough for the toothpick to hold it up.


I used a silicone spatula to dump melted chocolate onto each coconut bar, and then gently scraped the excess off back into the bowl, making sure each side is covered (you will get the hang of this quite quickly) and then placed each bar onto heavy duty aluminum foil (baking paper would work) to set.
you can put them in the fridge to speed this up.

And then, you're done.

9 comments:

  1. Those look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to LOVE Bounty's. These are so getting made. You ROCK!

    (but my waistline hates you)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coconut and chocolate - can imagine these would be great on a stick - my latest fad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those look fantastic! i've got to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys, these were incredibly easy to make in bulk. And I actually coated them in chocolate while they were on a stick, so I could imagine eating it off the stick would be good too :P

    Jeni - your waistline shouldn't hate me too much :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great, I never used to like bounty bars pre-vegan because I hated coconut but now I really want to try yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! These were my favourite candie bar! I am going to have to try this ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS is exactly what I was looking for:)

    ReplyDelete